2D Game Engine

This is an old ar­ti­cle from 2012. I was a kid. I learned a lot since then, so please do think twice when tak­ing ad­vice from me as a kid.

*I’m back!* Be­cause of my fi­nal ex­ams at school, I didn’t have to much time for things I ac­tu­al­ly like do­ing, hence this blog not get­ting too much at­ten­tion.

I nev­er ac­tu­al­ly had a good struc­ture in any of my game projects. This even­tu­al­ly led to chaot­ic code, work­arounds nec­es­sary to im­ple­ment sim­ple fea­tures and a lot of frus­tra­tion when start­ing over again.

This ac­tu­al­ly was the most im­por­tant rea­son for the fail­ure of “PI - the Mi­neshoot­er Game” (my minecraft style project).

Now I de­cid­ed to ac­tu­al­ly get some struc­ture in­to my games with a sim­ple Game En­gine, start­ing 2D and soon­er or lat­er ap­ply­ing what I learned with that to 3D.

Hav­ing start­ed re­cent­ly, this is how far I got:


  • Gen­er­al node based struc­ture for graph­ics (cur­rent­ly with Text-, Sprite- and Tile Map Nodes)
  • Tile based maps and a in­put con­trolled en­ti­ty (yeah, that smi­ley thing moves when you press up/down/right/left)

Next things planned are:

  • An­i­mat­ed Sprite Node
  • World Col­li­sions

This post was im­port­ed from tum­blr


Archived blog posts from squareys.tum­blr.com.