Recently I added multi-threaded rendering support to my open source java raycasting game engine.
The last few weeks, I was pretty busy with university stuff. If I did anything else, I optimized EpicRay. After the drop to 8fps (due to floor and ceiling textures), I optimized the rendering to go up to about 15 fps.
This is on 800x600 resolution by the way and very system dependant, as well as dependant on how many other things are going on the computer aswell (obviously).
How much multi-threading helped in terms of framerate was actually a big surprise. I now have 60fps for world rendering (no sprite rendering implemented yet).
EpicRay is still epic :)
This post was imported from tumblr