~ 2.5 Minute Read.
What the passion pill can do for you:
- Ability to work 6 hours more after 8 hours of other work
- Strong interest in an activity which overrules interest in other addicting activities (video games, watching series…)
- Giving you more time to outwork other people
- Making money without feeling like working 1
- Unbeatable work attitude, you work for the thing you’re working on, not for the money (intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation)
- Easy achievement of “Flow” state 2
- Reputation as “The Guy Who Works A Lot” giving you an easy excuse to drop out of social activities like going to the bar.
But, beware! The passion pill can come with the following potential side effects:
- Loss of interest in activities outside of the affected topic of passion
- Insomnia (lack of interest in going to bed)
- Self imposed abstinence (Your “higher level You” 3 fighting your lower level you that there is no time for relationships, you want to work.)
- Heavy addiction – so strong that you can use it to counter many others
- Loss of friends who are not like-minded or at least understanding and just see you avoiding the social activities with them
- Relization that your job is not what you want to be doing (in case it’s not your passion already) with the accompanying pain of withdrawal, potentially frustrating you until you can finally take the pill again.
I compare passion to a drug, because it doesn’t only give you the ecstatic high or euphoria that drugs do while being similarly addicting. Probably because passion gives you an easy way of being productive, which releases the reward hormone dopamine 4. Easy, because it doesn’t feel like work.
Passion Pill is not an actual thing of course – before people start asking me where to get this drug. You need to find it yourself. Find your passion(s) – it will make your life meaningful.
Intentionally written on a Sunday.
Rough idea for those who believe they are working on their passion, but feel unhappy: It may be that you’re scoping your passion to big. My passion is not “programming”, it’s more specific, constrained to a lower level way of programming usually accompanied with visual feedback is some way.
- I heard about this, but did not experience it first hand yet :P
- About “Flow”, TED talk by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, or Wikipedia: Flow
- “Lower/Higher level You” is a concept you can learn more about in Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio, incredible book, I recommend it as Audio Book.
- Simon Sinek on dopamine “Why Leaders Eat Last”
Written in 50 minutes, edited in 10 minutes.